.

.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Maniacal Movie Poster Monday #28!

I'm not going to turn this regular department into a themed outing every week - but considering the big movie in the theaters this week (no, the one that doesn't feature little blue guys running around) I thought we might take a look at some older movies that did a little science fiction genrebending with the Western...








We could always try Cowboys and...Time Travel?


Timerider  (Jensen Farley Pictures, 1982)



This nearly forgotten flick from the 80's was produced, co-written, and features music by Mike Nesmith from The Monkees. I wish I could tell you it's a long lost gem. Sadly, it's not, despite that solid cast and interesting concept.









Or we could go with one of my faves: Cowboys and... Dinosaurs?


The Valley of Gwangi  (20th Century Fox, 1969)



There have been a couple of movies with this plot. This Ray Harryhausen feature is far and away the best of them. Yes, it's basically King Kong with a lizard in for the ape and James Franciscus playing Carl Denham, but so what? It's still a shining example of the sheer artistry inherent in stop motion animation. The roping sequence is one of the greatest visual effects setpieces ever created - certainly Top Ten, and maybe Top Five  - of all time!  If you ever get a chance to take a look at any behind the scenes stuff that shows what Harryhausen had to do to create that scene - do yourself a favor and check it out! You'll be amazed!







Or, how about Cowboys and... Aliens?



Oblivion  (Full Moon Entertainment, 1994)




Hmmmm, that sounds awfully familiar, doesn't it? Where have I heard that concept before?




While I ponder that, we can wrap this up, and until next post, you Can Poke Me With A Fork, Cause I Am Outta Here!

3 comments:

  1. I love the genre bending. Time Rider was just silly and I loved the Valley of Gwangi. I have not seen Oblivion, though I may have to track it down.

    I have a sci fi story that blends elements of the Old West, Ancient Rome and Star Wars that I have nearly finished. I love the alt history stuff too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa! I'm just thrilled someone else has SEEN Timerider! Were you in my dorm room one weekend in the late 80's? ;) Glad we share a fondness for Gwangi too! Oblivion is...something, all right. Don't expect much, you may find yourself enjoying it!
    Your story sounds fascinating - I'd enjoy hearing more about it - or reading it, even!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen any of these movies...I wouldn't even know where to find them! It would be fun to see a dinosaur stomping through a cowtown. Total freakshow! As I've learned in my screenwriting studies, there are only a handful of plots, but what makes a great movie is how you tell the story.

    ReplyDelete