.

.

Monday, July 30, 2012

Maniacal Movie Poster Monday #79!


Fire Maidens from Outer Space  (Saturn Films, 1956)


And because we should really SEE the things highlighted to SEE:





I did SEE this movie - taped from a local television broadcast about 20 years ago - it was either channel 32 or channel 50 when I was living outside Chicago Illinois. To the best of my recollection it's okay - some fun stuff, some slow spots. The poster is great though!





Buck Rogers  (Universal, 1979)

After ABC had some success recouping costs by releasing the pilot of Battlestar Galactica to theaters as a movie the previous year, NBC decided to do the same thing with their pilot for Buck Rogers. But they did two things differently - they released the movie version to theaters first - in March - before the series premiered - in September. This meant no kids clamoring to go see it because they liked the show - they were hinging the whole thing on people going to see anything space opera after Star Wars. They also cheaped out and did nothing to build up the movie release - like the Galactica movie being released in Sensurround. It still made money - and launched the show to a successful first season. I have a real affection for the show - Erin Gray was another crush from my youth - but it is awfully influenced by the disco trend and consequently much campier than Battlestar Galactica.









Lovely But Deadly  (Juniper Releasing, 1981)


I saw this one on VHS with my movie pal Richard one afternoon after school. We howled through this goofy cheesefest as star Lucinda Dooling (NOT Lucinda Dickey, sadly) kicks butt on the pushers working her high school. Familiar faces abound, and happily everything on the poster happens in the movie, though not all of it shines with the gleam of competent filmmaking...





Until next post, you Can Poke Me With A Fork, Cause I Am Outta Here!

8 comments:

  1. Those are some rad photos. You really have a keen eye for the artfully bizarre, my friend! And yes, that is a compliment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir - I appreciate the compliment! ;)

      Delete
  2. Love these posters. Incidentally what in the hell is that black hairy thing on the Fire Maidens posters? It looks like a cross between a gorilla and girl. Good ol Channel 50, how I loved thee and Son of Svengoolie. He still airs on Saturday nights on Channel 26, the U, which is Channel 6 on cable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what that thing is - and barely remember it from the movie - one viewing 20+ years ago can do that to ya!

      Delete
  3. (singing) LOOOOVELEEEEE! but DEEEEAAAADLEEEEE!

    And I do believe that's everyone's favorite heavy, Gomorrah, right in the center!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a fine day that was - and we're still singing the theme song all these years later!

      Gomorrah FTW!

      Delete
  4. Never heard of Fire Maidens before but my god, the poster artwork is simply stunning!

    Never seen anything Buck Rogers, but at least I've just seen Gil Gerard's latest movie Blood Fare :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it really is an eye catcher!

      Buck Rogers is so 70's I might be able to assign it in Project Terrible - if I can track some down...

      Delete