.

.

Saturday, April 13, 2013

A-Z Challenge 2013: L is for Lucinda Dickey!

It's not the Twelve Days of Christmas, but it is the Twelfth Post in the April 2013 A-Z Blogging Challenge - and you'll have to pardon me - I might swoon - because...



L is for Lucinda Dickey!






If you were one of the readers of my late, lamented Mad Mike's Multitudinous Maniacal Movies newsletter many moons ago, you might remember that I watched the movies Breakin' and Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo because I was trying to see everything Joe Bob Briggs reviewed in his first two books. And after seeing those two classic Cannon flicks, I fell head over heels for their star Lucinda Dickey and named her the first Mad Mike Fabulous Babe award winner.




    I obsessed a bit over her at the time, and set out to find every frame of film I could on her. In those prehistoric days before the internet, just about the only resource for something like this was a huge three ring binder they used to have in pretty much all video stores that listed all actors and actresses alphabetically and then listed their movies. This thing was updated periodically by sending in new binder sheets that had to be manhandled into the binder. It wasn't the most complete or accurate thing in the world, but it was all we had. And that thing only listed Lucinda Dickey in four movies: the aforementioned Breakin' movies, Ninja III: The Domination, and Cheerleader Camp. Strangely, I had seen Ninja III on video - missed it in the theater because the night we went to see it Avenging Angel was also playing, and having heard from classmates about it, my pal Richard pulled for AA instead, so we went to see that. Why we didn't double feature them I will never know - and don't get me wrong, Avenging Angel was a fine piece of 80's Cinema Cheese, so we had a good time.


    But I digress.



I hate digressions.




    So, I saw Ninja III on video, but Ms. Dickey didn't catch my eye in that picture like she did in the Breakin' movies. But I sure went back to it, and tracked down Cheerleader Camp as well. And after that, the mystery of her disappearance from film and TV drove me crazy. It got so bad that I actually wrote a screenplay about the whole thing, using a thinly disguised Lucinda Dickey stand-in for a story of a young video store clerk (like I was at the time) obsessed with an actress who's made four movies and disappeared. Then she shows up in his life, but in a crazy way that could be the result of a head injury on the part of the video clerk, so the whole first half of the movie is a tease about whether she's really there or not. When I got to the second half of the script I got hung up on which of two directions to go with the movie - sappy drama or silly comedy, and the whole thing stalled out. (I'm still interested in the story, so if anyone wants to jump in and help me figure it out - I could still finish the thing!)







    Years pass, Al Gore finished inventing the internet, and the IMDB is born. I check out Ms. Dickey's entries, and along with the four known movies it lists her in an uncredited role on a Perry Mason NBC TV movie in the early 90's, but I dismiss this and continue with my solitary obsession. I hoped she had simply tired of the business, maybe married and started a family. I hoped she hadn't gone down some darker road, like drugs or something worse. But there was no way to find out, it seemed.






Well, time has passed - and Ms. Lucinda Dickey turned back up! She was a judge on a dancing reality series hosted by my old buddy Joey Lawrence - and she still looks freaking amazing.







A couple of other notes - she is in Grease 2 a lot - uncredited background dancer but highly visible from what I hear. And it turns out that was her in the Perry Mason telefilm - an attempt to keep her toe in the business after leaving it to start a family - another happy event - but she didn't have a good time and checked back out after that until her kids got older and she got the itch again.



Vive le Lucinda Dickey!






Mmmm, let's do this again tomorrow, what do you say? Until then, you Can Poke Me With A Fork, Cause I Am Outta Here!

35 comments:

  1. I paid to see "Breakin Two: Electric Boogaloo", and walked out 10 minutes after the film started. Ten minutes of my life I will never get back.

    Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! Now, I'm wondering what made you plunk down the cash to begin with? Did you not know what you were going to see?

      Delete
  2. The BEST part of this post to me is your description of pre-Internet researching. (face palm) My first job was in a video rental store when I was 16. Before you mentioned it, I'd totally forgotten about NOT having the Internet. Seriously. Think about it: How often do we think about not having something that has made our lives easier to THIS degree? I'm blogging on gratitude, so I should have been thankful for it during "I."

    Now *I* digress. ;)

    Loved this one best so far. Again, great photos and information and your chronological search for all her movies. And... she's even prettier now! Great blog tonight!!

    Dana at Waiter, drink please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - I thought this post might be a meh one for most - as it's mostly me mooning over an actress I like to look at - but thank you very much for the kind words! Do you by any chance remember what that big 3 ring binder of actors' movies was called?

      Delete
  3. Hey there. I have put a link to your blog on my post for L on the A - Z Challenge which is for today. My son Rocco is picking a number on the linky list at random and I post the link for each day. Hope you don't mind.

    Also, loving your theme. She looks all kinds of smoking hot now doesn't she?

    Cheers,

    W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind of you - I'm thrilled to be linked to your blog! Feel free to do that any time you like!

      Thanks - she is indeed VERY smoking hot now!

      Delete
  4. First time visitor thanks to the challenge. Loved this post, especially like Dana mentioned: the pre-Internet research info. I remember those days, too. Probably the only place I would have seen this actress is in Perry Mason;, though maybe I might have spotted her in a Solid Gold episode or two since I never missed one.

    Your story idea is fascinating. I truly hope you complete it.

    Cheryl
    http://www.thebusymomsdaily.com/2013/04/blogging-from-to-z-april-challenge_8.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks for the kind words! I'm pleased you liked this post - I really did think I might have been posting for myself too much here!

      If I did pick the story up - which way would you go with it? Sappy drama or goofy comedy?

      Delete
    2. Hi Craig! I'm like 4 years late to the party but hope you're still out there. I'm a freelance writer in LA and I gotta say, your script sounds very interesting! Let's finish it!

      Delete
  5. Avenging Angel!

    That's the one where Rory Calhoun catches the baby that falls out of the building, right? Sometimes I get my Angels mixed up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed that very movie! We laughed so hard that night my sides hurt the next day!

      Delete
  6. You totally need to finish that screenplay! You're off to a good start. Make it happen, Craig! Lucinda's photos are stunning...I especially like the more recent ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the boost of confidence! Which way would you take the screenplay? Sappy drama, or goofy comedy?

      Delete
  7. Aaaaargh, Cheerleader Camp is such a horrible pice of rubbish, but yeah, Dickey is one hot babe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not one of my faves either - but it's in the video vault because I'm so enamored of Ms.. Dickey!

      Delete
  8. Ah those Breakin' films...She was a cheesetastic actress and yes, she still looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man this screenplay you wrote sounds amazing. I bet you are gonna crap your pants on tuesday when the ninja 3 bluray drops :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely looking forward to it! Thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
    2. Im so excited I can barely contain myself. Only a ninja can defeat a ninja.

      Delete
  10. She was amazing in Ninja 3: the Domination. She could portray a strong woman who wasn't "butch"...kind of progressive for 1984 when women were regulated to being the damsel in distress or just a sex object. She was sexy and demure without crossing over into being sleazy...they just don't make 'em like her any more. Great blog, thanks for the trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw Ninja 3 many times when I was a kid.She is amazing. I never got a ninja possessed girl of my own like that though! I´ll watch Cheerleader Camp just because of her!Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either! Thanks for coming by and commenting!

      Delete
  12. People have No idea of the HipHop that has changed many people's lives because of these movies, and Beat Street, Krush groove, wildstyle.. that me and taught us that we had something that was special as being dancers street artist and also care about the youth and that was the purpose of a movie on this level, to me I'm in my 40's and I have been blessed to live this culture and I still do to this very day I thought events for the youth of today and it's an honor to have seen these movies. 

    So I thank you, for blessing people like myself to know that we have something in this movement that can give us the opportunity to be entrepreneurs like myself and to live our dreams on being artist and street performers and now a days as you seen on television people making a great living and great movies off of dancing street dancing. and it's a blessing so thank you very much.

    GodBless CrazyFeddy from Boston Massachusetts,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Her facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/lucinda.piligian

    ReplyDelete
  14. Although this comment is several years too late, I was crazy about her too when I first saw her in Brk' and Brk'2 EB. So hot!!! A total package - beauty, brains and a personality to match. It's obvious why us fans fell in love with her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Regarding Breakin' and B2EB, I remeber going to see them a the theaters opening night. Break dancing had taken the world by storm, and it was a fun and exciting time for everyone. I was glad to be a part of it. We didn't care, or realize the cheesy quality of the directing, scripting and acting. All we knew was that a movie about break dancing finally happened, and we all thought it was just the coolest thing. A watch those movies every now and then because of the fond memories of my youth. One had to have been a part of that era to truly appreciate those movies.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was born right after Breakin' 2 and I love these films, I own both on Blu Ray plus Ninja III, I need to see Cheerleader Camp, and will stop to see if I can spot her in my copy of Grease 2, now! I live In Kansas City and was raised in Kansas, so I always have a soft spot for Kansas-born actors and actresses like Lucinda. She will be forever a hotty and sweetheart in her rag taggy neon leotard cut-up t-shirt crop top knotted headband outfits, her bodacious soft butchy yet femme mullet (did Jamie Lee steal Lucinda's hairstyle for PERFECT?) and her infectious smile and enthusiasm for dancing. I cherish the sweet innocence of the Breakin' films- do they make anything like this anymore? I think what sets these films apart is that they aren't 'kids' films or even 'family' films- just fun, heartfelt short and sweet afternoon diversions of entertainment to bop your head to while you admire the powerful dancing, the crazy outfits, and the fun catchy tunes. Studios like Cannon and New World are sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great insights. Thank you for coming by!

      Delete
    2. In grease 2 when they dance around the pool towards the end of the movie she's right in the middle on the bottom of the screen.

      Delete