.

.

Thursday, April 2, 2015

A-Z Challenge 2015: B is for Bobby Ray Shafer!









I first saw Bobby Ray Shafer in a wonderfully goofy slasher movie called Psycho Cop in the early 90's - and thought he was pretty funny. He came back to that role a couple of years later in Psycho Cop Returns - which was also silly and fun.



Psycho Cop in action.








I kept seeing him in various series and movies in the years since, and really enjoyed him in the American version of The Office - where he played Bob Vance Vance Refrigeration - Dunder Mifflin's office neighbor and eventually husband to Phyllis - in 25 episodes.


"Bob Vance Vance Refrigeration."




Often now credited as Robert R. Shafer - he turns up all over the place - recently he's one of the poker players being annoyed by Kenny Rogers in a Geico Insurance commercial - and it turns out he's also a cousin of one of my favorite genre filmmakers - Fred Olen Ray - who was the R post in this challenge two years ago.


Mega Python vs Gatoroid





I thought I had heard that the two men had worked together and discovered their family connection when they discussed that they'd both come from West Virginia - but it turns out (and no surprise here) I'd not remembered the story correctly.

Thankfully, the man himself came by to set the record straight in a comment - and here's what he had to say:


"In the interest of historical accuracy, it was Fred's son, Chris Olen Ray that I ran into on the set of KNIFEPOINT in 2008. Chris is also a director and he and I have worked together several times; including a soon to be released comedy: THEY WANT DICK DICKSTER ( about an egomaniacal director running wild in Hollyweird). "


Thanks Mr. Shafer! Since this discovery in 2008 Mr. Shafer has worked with both Fred Olen Ray and Chris Olen Ray multiple times.


One of Fred Olen Ray's movies that Bobby Ray Shafer is in - you can see him sitting
in the second picture on the left hand side.








One of Fred's family films Bobby Ray is in.



I'm sure you've seen something with Bobby Ray Shafer - because he's been in a lot of shows - and I heartily recommend you watch some more - because he's always worth watching.









Until next post, you Can Poke Me With A Fork, Cause I Am Outta Here!

12 comments:

  1. thank you another great person, seen and not known his name... I just heard sadly that Manic Cop Robert Z'dar has passed away... sad day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did hate hearing the Robert Z'Dar had passed. Thanks for coming by - hope to see you whenever you get the chance to drop by this month!

      Delete
  2. I loved him in The Office......what a great role!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet he would agree! Thanks for stopping in, Sandra!

      Delete
  3. This was a great post! Glad you're participating in the A-to-Z Challenge!

    Cherdo
    www.cherdoontheflipside.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! You took a guy I've been seeing in commercials, and gave me enough info that I can now dazzle and befuddle my family, next time it comes on. "Say, you see that guy? He's related to another actor, and they found each other on set..."

    I'm guessing C will be for... Charlie Chan? Charles Bronson? Bronson Pinchot?

    Guess I'll just have to tune in and see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the shout out, Mr. Edwards. In the interest of historical accuracy, it was Fred's son, Chris Olen Ray that I ran into on the set of KNIFEPOINT in 2008. Chris is also a director and he and I have worked together several times; including a soon to be released comedy: THEY WANT DICK DICKSTER ( about an egomaniacal director running wild in Hollyweird). Best wishes, Bobby Ray Shafer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - it's always a thrill and an honor when a post's subject takes the time to check it out - and to comment. I have corrected the post - thank you for letting us know the real story - and thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  6. Wow, I had completely forgot about the Psycho Cop films - thanks for reminding me of them! I had a blast watching them a long time ago... they really need to go into the collection. Great to see Bobby stopping by, too! Good work, Craig!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir! I'll be watching for a Psycho Cop post over at the Attic!

      Delete